Bald spot on rooster- swollen and oozing (new to chickens)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KayleeBug, Aug 1, 2014.

1. KayleeBug

KayleeBug Hatching

Jun 22, 2014
    My EE rooster has a bald spot on his back. It just really showed up today, wasn't like this yesterday. It is puffy and oozing a yellow fluid. There are raised spots that feel like they are filled with fluid. There does not seem to be any open injury to it, such as a cut or puncture wound. I have no idea what it is. (I'm still pretty new to chickens). He is a little over 4 months old. He's been hand raised, so he's extremely easy to pick up and do whatever I want with him. He just chilled on my lap as my brother and I gently cleaned it and searched to see if there were any more spots like it. It's just the one. It doesn't seem to be too sore, he didn't flinch at all while I was cleaning it. I also put a little bit of neosporin on it. (He got yummy mealworms for being such a good bird)

Does anyone know what this is? I have not seen any of my hens pecking at him, they generally stay out of his way. None of the hens have anything similar, it's just him. His behavior is completely normal, his appetite is fine, he's perky and his normal self. There is nothing wrong with him except for this bald spot. If it's something that potentially needs to be seen by a vet, that's fine, I would just like to know so I can get him treated and healed up properly. I'm also fine with treating it myself. He's very friendly and easy to handle.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Photos of spot as I found it:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

After I gently cleaned it:

[​IMG]

Whole rooster for scale: (it's a fairly big spot)

[​IMG]

2. KayleeBug

KayleeBug Hatching

Jun 22, 2014
    (I don't know how to edit posts from my phone, sorry for the double post) I just went back outside to sit with the chickens, and I just saw one of my hens pluck a feather off the roosters back, close to the spot, and eat it. She ate the whole feather. She's doing it to some of the other hens as well. I've never seen her do this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: