1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bald spot on the Hens back

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by clintonbemrose, Mar 26, 2010.

1. clintonbemrose

clintonbemrose New Egg

Mar 24, 2010
    Mason, MI 48854
    I have 5 Bared Rock hens and 1 roo.
    4 of the hens have bald spots on their back ranging from 4 inches round to 1/2 inch. Sorta looks like some one pulled all the feathers out down to the skin. There are no cuts there but just looks bad.
    What may cause this?
    Is it bad?
    How can I help them!

Clint

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Sounds as though you may need to get your girls some Aprons.. typically this means your roo has been a lil rough with girls while breeding.. look in the auctions as a few BYCers make and sell hen aprons...

3. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    My girls have bare spots too, only I believe one of the other hens is to blame as we have no rooster. She has kindly taken to that role and is mounting the hens. So annoying!!! At least you are getting fertile eggs for their bald spots. [​IMG] We just have hens with bald spots.[​IMG]

4. BBK

BBK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    yes, we have it here too... My roos are awful. I don't think the aprons are going to help me. The feathers are high up on the head. it looks like my one girl has a headband of feathers and bald... we getting rid of the roos and soon. plus we're starting a bigger run/coop.
    Even if i let them all out, the roos go after my girls.

melinda

sounds like they're getting killed too.

5. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    I had this issue too, finally saw that it was one of my white hens picking feathers off the girls backs. I chose to relocated the culprit and now my girls are growing all their feathers back!! If you can find out who is doing it then you could keep her separate from the other hens or relocate her like I did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by