Bald Spot under baby chic's wing, should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MTChick2009, Apr 20, 2009.

1. MTChick2009

MTChick2009 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Montana
    I noticed today that one of my week old chick has a bald spot, almost looks like small bump at her wing joint, I am not sure if she's been picking at it, or the other? I have not seen any others doing it and the way it is under her wing, makes me think she did it to herself. She's using the wing just fine, flapping and stretching it out, she freaked out a bit when I was holding her and trying to get a closer look at it, not sure if it was hurting her or just was just freaked about being handled.

Anyone know if I should be concerned, is it common? what can I do to discourage her from picking?

Thank you! [​IMG]

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Did you look under the other wing to see if it's the same? If it's not sore or inflamed it's probably just their normal chicken "armpits". They have a little bare spot where they move their wings the most, it's bare to allow better movement. It's also a great place to check for mites.

3. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    Hey, how are ya?

My girls had sporatic bald spots all over while they were loosing chick fuzz, I think some even had some bald spots under wings. I don't think that you'd see pecking UNDER a wing. What does her other wing look like? How about the other chicks wings? Do you see a scab or any blood? If you really think it might be an injury or a sore etc, you can put some antibiotic ointment on it like neosporin (without pain reliever), maybe she scratched herself while grooming. That bump may just be a bone or something.Can you post a picture?

Jen

4. Im4Eggcellence

Im4Eggcellence Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    NW Washington State
    My chicks are 3 weeks old now and have various bald/thinning spots on them. I think it is normal as they begin to "defuzz".

5. MTChick2009

MTChick2009 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Montana
    Hi Jen! Thanks for the info! It does not look sore or scabbed at all, and her other underwing is fuzzy. I have not noticed this in the other girls at all. It seems she may have gone to far preening (I think that's what it's called) But I guess it all gets replaced eventually! I will keep an eye on her, and post a pic if I can.

Thank again for all the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by