Bald spots on back t

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Farmkids3, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Farmkids3

Farmkids3 New Egg

Jan 30, 2014
    We have 12 hens (production reds and black sex link) and I have recently noticed that about 4 of our girls have balding spots on the back. It looks dry, flaky, and raw. It appears to me that it is from pecking, but I am not sure. This is my first round with chickens. I know are coop is too small for this many and I am guessing if it is pecking that it is happening when hey roost. There are three rows for them to roost on but I think they fight about who is where. Over crowded? So, do we eliminate or just treat the injured birds until we can build a bigger coop. The one we have now will allow about 3 sq foot for one hen... Probably a max of 8-10 birds. For our coop. We don't have any roosters so, I think the saddle idea isn't worth trying. Tea tree oil? Pine tar?

Thank you for your advice!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    The production birds seem to be pretty bad about feather plucking if they are crowded. You would be better off to eliminate the birds that are doing the plucking (it can be a learned behavior) since they will probably just start on other birds if you take out the plucked ones. Pinless Peepers are another idea, they work pretty well for feather plucking. I would double check to see if some are not molting, and for mites/lice also, magnifying glass helps with that, and be sure to check the roosts at night for ones that don't stay on the chickens. I like to Blu Cote the bare spots just to be on the safe side.

3. Farmkids3

Farmkids3 New Egg

Jan 30, 2014
    Thank you! I am going to try to figure out the culprit(s)!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by