Bald spots on chickens backs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Casey207908, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Casey207908

Casey207908 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2012
    I have a flock of 15 with 1 roosters. over 50% of my chickens now have bald spots on their lower backs, the size of the bald spots are approx. 4" in diameter, so pretty big. Some of these bald spots are brighter red in areas like it is irritated. Does anyone know what this is from and how to stop it? Lice? Mites?
    The egg production is still pretty good, getting 8-12 a day but the feather loss seems to be getting worse.

2. spencerbaillie

spencerbaillie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2015
    Ridgeville, Ontario
    I can't say for certain without seeing your flock, but I'm 99% sure those bald spots are from mating, seeing as you have a rooster. I have a rooster in my flock as well and not only do the hens get bald, irritated spots on their backs. But often times they are even injured to the point of me having to separate them for a week or so to let the wounds heal.

So, yeah, it's most likely from mating and is completely natural when there is a male present, especially if he is a large one.

1 person likes this.
  3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

You might want to get a different rooster, one that is a little gentler. Some mate with no wounds others just rip feathers out. I call those rapists and get rid of them.

1 person likes this.
  4. Casey207908

Casey207908 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2012
    Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated.
    The rooster seems to grab the hens behind the neck though, and not on the lower back?

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

They do that with their feet when they get overly amorous..

6. wingedshade

wingedshade Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2016
    Delta junction, Alaska
    I agree, it's probably the rooster. If you don't want to replace him, you could probably trim his claws. Or see if you can find some kind of covering for the hens to protect them.

7. Neveralone

Neveralone Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2015
    NE WA
    I was going to ask this same thing. I don't want to replace my roo (he's a BCM,nice to his girls, and nice to be around). Can I trim his spurs? He really doesn't appear rough with the girls when breeding, but he is kind of a big guy. My barred rocks aren't missing feathers but my black stars are.

8. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    Trimming spurs wont solve your issue. Trimming spurs is not for bald spots, it is so they don't get sliced up.

9. Neveralone

Neveralone Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2015
    NE WA
    Trimming claws, then? My girls aren't sliced, just some of them are bare backed.

10. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    The feathers on the back, or cushion, are very sensitive. It really comes down to how often and hard they are being bred. Nothing you can do except get another cock bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by