Bald spots on duck baby

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kodiakchicken, May 9, 2008.

1. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    My little blue swede (we named her Baby Blue) has some bald spots on her chest. She and the others are about 2 weeks old and are always scratching and itching. I figured that was from new feathers coming in. Are the bald spots just where they've rubbed the fluff away and new feathers will come in? I looked at it close and it looks like there are tiny little pin feathers growing in. It's not smooth skin, but kind of rough.

The worst spot is right where her bill will reach down to scratch her chest.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you are sure they don't have any mites or lice, it could very well be them rubbing their fluff off. The pin feathers are a good sign. I don't know much about ducks though.

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    That's normal!
    They are loosing the fluff and alng with the pin feathers, it is itchy. Like when you get a sunburn and then peel.

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:Yeah what she said!!

Although, once, I did notice a gosling had the feathers singed off his head getting too close to the heat lamp. I adjusted it and he is now finely feathered. [​IMG]

5. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Thanks, everyone. I noticed more bare spots this weekend but it's patching and I can tell stuff is growing in underneath. The bald spot on the chest is really soft with new feather/fuzz growth.

I've checked them over good and no mites, so I'm sure it's just feather growth. What's funny is Baby Blue (blue swede) is the smallest of the three but seems to be going through the feather change sooner. My other two are a magpie and black cayuge, so are blue swede's naturally smaller?

6. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    HMMM dont know about your combo, but our blue swede is larger than our kaki cambles, but smaller than our rouens. All are the same age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by