1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bald spots on head not regrowing feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peacechikn, Apr 12, 2017.

1. peacechikn

peacechikn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2016
    San Juan Island, WA
    I've been raising 2 chicks and one of them was slightly injured when we first got her (I'm a sucker for the under-chicken) so the other one pecked at her head. We have since stopped the pecking, but the bald spots aren't growing back in. It's been weeks now, maybe 4? Do some chickens just have bald spots or is there something I can do? I saw Vetericyn mentioned on another thread but I wasn't sure if that would work in this instance.

In the photo below you can see a white spot and a red spot, which seems to be a little irritated.

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    What sometimes happens is that the new pin feathers come in, and are immediately pecked out. So I would get some BLuKote and spray it on her head every other day as needed to hide the new feathers so they will come in. In my flock it takes 3-4 weeks for head feathers to grow back. Back feathers may not grow back until the nest molt.

3. peacechikn

peacechikn Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2016
    San Juan Island, WA
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would use the BluKote. It is antiseptic and would hide the wounds in the black feathers. Betadine may help until you get it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by