Bald spots on three of my girls-any ideas??

tmberghst

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 10, 2008
About 1 month ago I found one of the girls bleeding from being pecked in front of her tail,lower back.It was a patch about the size of a half dollar,and there were no feathers there.I treated her with blue coat and several days later new feathers started to form.I don't think pecking made the bald spot.But after a week or two the feathers stopped growing.I never saw any more sign of her being pecked,kept treating her but the spot kept getting bigger.This morning I found her on the floor of the coop with her head tucked under wing,she had passed in her sleep.Now I have three of the seven with bald spots under the vent,no sign of pecking,and the bald spots have a red irratated look to them.These birds are kept up very well.Have treated them for lice, mites even though i have seen no indication they were infected.They are feed crumbles and cracked corn,and somtimes fresh veggies.coup is kept pretty clean.They all appear to be healthy.I get three dozen eggs each week from these birds.Have not treated them with blucote since it seemed not appear to help the one that just died.Don't know what to do now.Have no local vet I trust,number eight died after last vet visit from prolasped egg.But thats another story.Somebody try to help me with this problem,do not want to lose another girl.Had we known we would be so attached to these darn chickens,would have thought twice about getting them.Guess it is a little late for that.Please help, will be glad to answer any questions.Thanks in advance. DON

She was just missing feathers.I feel like the problems I have is because of the habits of the modern chicken farmer.Most of us keep these birds penned up.My grandfather's birds free ranged.He had very little problems.I have to keep mine up because of the many redtailed hawks that hang out around my place.They are always around,even before i got chickens.Yep I have already lost birds to them.Thanks for responding!!

Today I treated 6 of the 7 with blucote and followed up with some pine tar.The one I did not treat looked fine.Maybe she is the picker,she spends a lot of time on the nest.Will be keeping a lot better watch on her!!!!Will post a follow up in a few days.

If you have roosters, the hens may be overmated. This is when a rooster does his thing too frequently, and feathers are lost. I recommend separating the rooster for a while, and if he does it more, you may need to find a new home for him. If you don't have a rooster, separate the balding hens and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom