Bald spots, teeny tiny yellow bugs and saddles...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by debryman, Oct 1, 2011.

1. debryman

debryman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Joshua Tree CA
    I am having a terrible time getting my girls bald spots to fill back in. The bald s[pots started with a new young rooster and were perpetuated by the hens themselves. I have had saddles on them for almost three weeks and the feathers were growing back in great under there. Once in a while when peeking to see the progress I would see a teeny tiny yellow bug on a couple of the girls. This was kind of freaking me out so I decided to take off the saddles and let them scratch and clean themselves and since the feathers were just over an inch long, hoped they would not pick at each other. I was wrong. I left them for about an hour and every single girl with new feathers (7 of them) now have complete bald spots again and one is raw and bloody. I am pretty sure it's my white leghorns as they are the only ones I see constantly pecking at the others. I have put all the saddles back on and will leave them but I am really concerned about those little bugs. Any suggestions about them or any of my dilemma would be greatly appreciated.

2. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    Lots of people use seven dust.it was not working for me so I use pymethrin.dose it down as recommended.worked great for me.

3. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    you can buy adams flea and tick spray which is pyrethrin or a similar product and apply to the exterior of your chickens. or sevin dust/poultry dust. just depends on what you want to use. I think ivermectin pour-on would help. treat all of your birds and probably should clear out their coop too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by