Bald Spots

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pecker-neck, Mar 17, 2015.

1. pecker-neck

pecker-neck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2015
    Nebraska
    It got up to 89* here yesterday so we took our 8 day old ducklings outside. We put a shallow cake pan with a little luke-warm water in it with them and they loved playing in the water. At that time, we noticed balding on 3 of our cayugas from the back of the head to where the wings begin. The skin didn't look sore or infected in any way. Is this something to be concerned about? Should use blue kote on the area? Thanks!

2. snoopysflock

snoopysflock Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    Northern north carolina
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Could be the brooder is a little too warm, could just be the way they look as they lose some fluff and start getting feathers.

What is the brooder temperature, what are they being fed, can you describe the brooder setup?

4. pecker-neck

Feb 18, 2015
    Nebraska
    The brooder is a 3'6" x 2'4" plastic tote with 8 ducklings in it. We started out at 90* in the brooder and by now, they appear 'hot' at 80*. We spend a lot of time with them and they don't seem to preen excessively and they don't peck at each other excessively.

5. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    How old are the ducklings? It's probably just because they were wet and/or their fluff might be thinning from new feathers coming in. Are the bald spots visible when they're dry?

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You probably already know it is about time for them to have a larger brooder. We expanded at two weeks of age, then again at four weeks. If you have Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, there are recommendations for amount of space in that.

I happen to be in the duck pen right now, so I cannot quickly grab my copy.

But you have less than a square foot per duckling, and that is not going to be enough for optimal health.

7. pecker-neck

Feb 18, 2015
    Nebraska
    Thanks for the replies. I do have Storey's Guide. The balding isn't noticeable when they're dry. They are 9 days old now. I'm currently building a 4'x8' brooder for them. I thought that we would have more time before we had to expand the brooder size but these things constantly drink, eat, crap and grow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by