Bald, swollen, bulge under vent...any clues?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lilbirdee, May 18, 2010.

1. lilbirdee

lilbirdee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Okay, so I've read a bit about this odd symptom a few places here so I know that others have had the same experience...but I haven't been able to find any solid answers.
    My year old hen seems normal otherwise. Eating, pooping, doing her usual daily activities with her flock, and laying eggs as far as I know. May be molting since her head has a few bald spots too.
    Just wondering what's up with the bald squishy bulge under her vent. Her vent looks normal. I felt the bulge pretty well and there is nothing hard in there and she didn't seem to mind it being handled.
    I read about sticking a needle in there to try and draw out the fluid, but I'd rather not.
    Tried to get a photo, but wiggly hen in one had and camera in the other made for very unhelpful shots.

2. lilbirdee

Mar 14, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    So... now she's spending a lot of time in the nesting box.
    I'm just letting her set. The bulge is still there, and still squishy.
    Any thoughts here?

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  3. DesertChick324

DesertChick324 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    Palomino Valley/Reno, NV
    Sounds like it is just fat. How old is she/

4. lilbirdee

Mar 14, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Definitely NOT fat. Anyone else?

5. buffbeauty

buffbeauty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    Mine did that too. Didnt seem to bother her any, I just monitored her to make sure it wasnt getting more red or swollen or bleeding and she's still fine. Decided it was just where some feathers under her vent were crusty and stuck together and she prund them out?? It resolved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by