1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bald, Tailless Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TipsyDucklings, May 23, 2017.

1. TipsyDucklings

TipsyDucklings Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2017
    My Rooster has gone bald (he looks very similar to a monk) and has absolutely no tail, just a pink nub. They have a walk in/out chicken coop and a fenced in area to roam. He has about 16 hens and is the only Rooster in the flock. Could the hens be the ones pecking out his feathers? What can I do to help his feathers grow back?

2. TipsyDucklings

May 21, 2017
    I've never seen the hens mess with him, and he was like this when I got him. I just don't understand why his feathers won't grow back.

3. Abriana

Abriana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2017
    How long has he been missing feathers? he might be molting. In that case you don't have to be concerned. They molt every year at around the same time.

4. TipsyDucklings

May 21, 2017
    We've had him for just less than a year and he's been missing the feathers since then.

5. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Might be mites,check all birds.

6. brucifer

brucifer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds more like your rooster IS bald instead of has gone bald.

7. TipsyDucklings

May 21, 2017
    What does that mean? He also has no tail....
    Is there any way to encourage the feathers to grow back?

8. brucifer

Since you posted "...he was like this when I got him," your bird may genetically have neither head nor tail feathers. Usually chickens regrow feathers rather quickly; that's why I think it may be genetic.

9. TipsyDucklings

May 21, 2017
    That might be it then.
    Here's some pictures of his head and tail(or lack thereof) if that helps at all.

Attached Files:

10. brucifer

Hmmm...no, that doesn't look like a genetic issue. I appreciate the photos. None of my birds have ever had anything like that before. Check on here with @speckledhen . She's super nice, and if she doesn't know what is ailing your rooster, she can probably put you in touch with someone who does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by