Balding Chick???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LaylaFlora, Mar 19, 2015.

1. LaylaFlora

LaylaFlora Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    I have 5 assorted bantams. Two are around 5 weeks of age. Three are around 6 weeks of age.

Backstory: The littlest/youngest has been losing fuzz off his/her tummy/butt for a while now. These chicks came to me with severe pasty butt and this littlest one had it the worst. It still cannot poop correctly :( I have tried absolutely everything.

Anyway, today I noticed that the littlest one has lost its fuzz on its neck. Upon inspection it is scaley and appears to have a scab in one spot. There are no signs of mites and I haven't seen the others pick on the littlest one but I guess it could be happening. They are in a 2 1/2 foot X 4 foot brooder at night and have free range to a 20 X 30 foot garden during the day. I put some coconut oil on the area.

Any ideas?? Sorry for the bad pics. My camera is terrible...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I worry that since it is still having problems pooping.. that maybe there is more wrong with the chick... maybe its gut is not working correctly, and so this is a malabsorption problem that is resulting in odd skin and loss of fuzz. I unfortunately am no help with that, since I would close my eyes tight, pray, and then dispatch the chick. [​IMG] and [​IMG]

Other not so horrid possibilities would be that it is being picked on, just never when you are looking. If you sit next to them, without moving at all, maybe they will go back to "what we do when bored" and you will see it happen.

If he is being picked on, people tend to recommend Blu-Kote to make sure there is no more picking, but I usually just separate the chick.

3. LaylaFlora

LaylaFlora Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Thank you for the reply. I had a hunch that this is what's going on. Internal issues. I don't anticipate it to live, but it doesn't seem to be in pain so I'm going to wait it out. The "rash" on its neck isn't getting worse so that's good.

I'll update if it gets better or doesn't make it [​IMG]

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

GOOD LUCK! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by