balding chicks, two weeks old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stillbeachin, Jul 2, 2013.

1. stillbeachin

stillbeachin Chirping

Jul 1, 2013
    is balding normal, that chicks lose their fluff and then the feathers come in? mine have baldness along the neck and under the wings, also top of shoulder... please help!!!

2. aseelforsale

aseelforsale Chirping

Dec 28, 2012
    It depends on the breed you have some hard feather birds it is normal

1 person likes this.
  3. luv2greys

luv2greys In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2013
    I have a speckled sussex pullet that at about 4 weeks started displaying baldness on her head--but otherwise no problems. I started putting triple antibiotic ointment (without the pain reliever) on her head every couple of days and kept that up for a couple of weeks. Now at 3 months her feathers are growing in as they should be. Have no idea what caused it . So possibly worth a try?

1 person likes this.
  4. witchawomn

witchawomn In the Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    Palos Verdes
    Mine are two weeks and they're all balding! Glad I'm not the only one...

5. stillbeachin

stillbeachin Chirping

Jul 1, 2013
    hi, thank you, they're australorps :)

6. stillbeachin

stillbeachin Chirping

Jul 1, 2013
    thank you! i just might try that. i will watch them carefully for another week and see if it gets red or irritated looking. then they'll be three weeks. do you mean something like the polysporin triple?
    thanks again for your reply, so much!

7. stillbeachin

stillbeachin Chirping

Jul 1, 2013
    hi, i called the breeder and he said as long as they look vigorous and healthy, not to worry... i did read up about a mini-molt which can occur around this time. i guess we'll just wait and see. i think i'd try some polysporin if it starts looking irritated... but under those hot lights, can't expect it not to look a little red?! where are yours balding? i will post a picture later today when i get another set of hands to hekp me.
    colette

8. stillbeachin

stillbeachin Chirping

Jul 1, 2013
    thank you, they're australorps... are they hard feathered?

hi, i called the breeder and he said as long as they look vigorous and healthy, not to worry... i did read up about a mini-molt which can occur around this time. i guess we'll just wait and see. i think i'd try some polysporin if it starts looking irritated... but under those hot lights, can't expect it not to look a little red?! where are yours balding? i will post a picture later today when i get another set of hands to hekp me.
    colette

9. stillbeachin

stillbeachin Chirping

Jul 1, 2013
    thank you! i just might try that. i will watch them carefully for another week and see if it gets red or irritated looking. then they'll be three weeks. do you mean something like the polysporin triple?
    thanks again for your reply, so much!

10. stillbeachin

stillbeachin Chirping

Jul 1, 2013
    here is the post from "the chicken chick":
    First Juvenile Molt

There are actually two, juvenile or "mini molts" as I like to call them, before a chicken's first annual molt. The first mini molt begins at 6-8 days old and is complete by approximately 4 weeks when the chick's down is replaced by its first feathers.

heidibee likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: