1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Balding Hen?pics Added

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Alleychick, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Alleychick

Alleychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Not real sure what this is? Only 3 outta my 10 birds look like this. They are 19 months old and appear to be molting but im not sure why there heads look like this. Also i have noticed they are starting to peck each other and i had to seperate one hen to recoup. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BTufts

BTufts Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    Maine
    Not sure.. But it looks to me like they still have some pinfeathers? Hopefully someone more knowledgable will post!

3. Alleychick

Aug 19, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yes those little white things are attached to their neck. Just not sure what the heck they are. Like i said they are at the age where they should be molting, have all the signs that they are. I just dont know what there supposed to look like while they are doing it. And im freaked out about bugs and parasites so im nervous.

4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    No worrys it is in the process of a molt

5. Barrett Farm

Barrett Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Silicon Valley
    Your hen looks like she has new feathers growing in. You can't see this happening on other areas of the bird because the bird preens her feathers by breaking off the casing in her mouth, she removes the covering around the new feather and shakes off the broken casing. If you press and roll the casing together between your finger and thumb, the cover will fall off. It will look like a paper casing that you can blow away or brush off.

When my hens have an area they can't reach, on the head, behind the neck, and back at the vent for the older birds, they appreciate the attention to clean off the casings and open the new feathers. Watch your birds, look for them lifting a wing and grabbing a feather in her mouth. She is cleaning the feather, also known as preening. Put the bird on your lap, lift the wing and look through the feathers, there may be more feathers growing in throughout the bird's body and wings.

6. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Are you sure they are pecking at her? They may be preening her neck where she can't reach. I see mine preening each other all the time.

Marty

7. Alleychick

Aug 19, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok good to know its not a parasite. Im pretty sure they are pecking at her. Someone pecked at another on of my girls and actually drew blood. But it is a possibilty they could be preening her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by