Balding Hen??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by robinh, Feb 26, 2007.

1. robinh

robinh Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2007
    missouri
    i have two hens that are losing their feathers on their back, at first it was just the one and i thought maybe the rooster was giving her too much attention, and the the 2nd hen started having the same problem. the first one is almost completely bald on top of her back and the 2nd is not far behind. Does anyone know what this might be, if it is a disease or what? please help??

2. Wes in Tx

Wes in Tx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Texas
    Most likely the rooster. Also check them over good for lice and mites.

3. robinh

robinh Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2007
    missouri
    thank you!

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you only have hens, like Wes said, it's probably the rooster. I had one feisty roo and he did a number on the backs of 6 out of 10 hens...

5. amymarie82

amymarie82 New Egg

Jun 16, 2016
    Portland Oregon
    A few days ago I noticed my Hen looks different. Then I realized her tail feathers are missing. And now she looks like she's losing more feathers. Here are a few pics. Nothing has changed, no new food or homing.

6. amymarie82

amymarie82 New Egg

Jun 16, 2016
    Portland Oregon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. KayTee

KayTee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2012
    South West France
    Hello amymarie82, and [​IMG]

Don't worry - your girl looks perfectly normal for a chicken that is moulting. It is a natural thing that happens to chickens in the autumn (or 'fall' if you live in the USA! [​IMG]) The old feathers will fall out, to be replaced by new ones. For some birds the process is so gradual that it is hardly noticeable, but others will lose almost all their feathers in a very short time before starting to replace them. During this time all the bird's energy is devoted to re-growing feathers, and therefore she will probably stop laying (or lay very infrequently), as she does not have enough energy to produce both feathers and eggs at the same time.

As long as your girl is eating, drinking and pooping well then I wouldn't worry. I tend to give a higher-protein feed to my birds when they start to moult (some companies produce a special feed targeted at moulting birds) - I don't know if it is strictly necessary, but at least I feel that I am helping through the process [​IMG]

Should your bird start to show symptoms of lethargy, scratch far too often, stop eating, have abnormal poops etc then it would be time to consider other reasons for her feather loss, but at this time of year, with the feather loss that your bird is showing I would not think that there is anything more than normal moulting going on.

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Normal molting. Nothing to worry about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by