balding?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DVK, May 23, 2019.

1. DVK

DVK In the Brooder

May 5, 2019
    hello my Ameraucana chicken's head is becoming bald. i think it might be other chicken since shes the bottom of the pecking order but at the same time im afraid it might be sickness. could chickens get ringworms? she has no wounds on her head but all her feathers are slowly "disappearing." if other chickens are pecking her what should I do to stop it?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Puppy Dreaming

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sounds like other birds may be doing it. Do you have a rooster? I've seen hens peck on each other's head pretty badly to try to get other hens out of nestboxes so they can use them.

Another time will be at roost time. There can be lots of pecking and jostling for a good position especially if you don't have a lot of extra roost space.

As long as there's no blood or wounds it shouldn't be a problem, mostly cosmetic. If you start to see blood than you may have to try to figure out what's going on.

Sometimes it can be from crowding or boredom. How much room do your birds have?

Chickens will lose feathers here and there as the season wears on. Most won't grow them back until the fall molt. You can spray the skin with bluekote, or an anti pick spray. Be care you don't get any in the eyes.

DVK and Kathy Golla like this.
  3. DVK

DVK In the Brooder

May 5, 2019
    no we dont have a rooster. i think i found out who does it to her. one of the chicken just like to peck at her for no reason every time my black chicken comes near her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: