"Balled up" Nails

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ckerr636, May 19, 2011.

1. ckerr636

ckerr636 New Egg

May 19, 2011
    Hi all. I'm new here, go easy on me [​IMG]

We have just started our backyard flock. Cuckoo Marans, Buckeyes, Salmon Faverolles and Silver Pencilled Wyanndotes.

In addition to day olds, we picked up a few older Faverolles and Buckeyes from a friend who was dispersing her flock. My question/issue in that one of the Faverolles seems to have a promblem roosting. She just lays on the floor under the perch.

The previous owner had kept them on wire and her nails were quite long and twisted. I trimmed the longer nails, but a couple of them have "Balled up" with what looks like dried feed/shavings into a ball about 1" in diameter. The balls start at the end of the toe, where the nail should be, but there is no visible nail, just a ball of hard caked muck. I want to remove it, but I am afraid of doing any damage.

Any idea what causes this and/or how best to remedy it?

Thanks

Chris

Nova Scotia Canada

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    [​IMG]

I'd give her a foot soak to loosen the debris before doing anything to the nails. She may enjoy a full bath, but at least soak the feet for a while. Once her feet are feeling better she may show more interest in roosting. She may not, though. I have an old lady that never learned to roost. She always sleeps on the floor. You can try to re-train your bird to use a roost by putting her on it each night at bed time. It may take several days to weeks to train her, but it really is better for birds to use the roosts. They stay cleaner.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by