1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Balls of dirt on toes?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SunflowerTheBun, Dec 14, 2016.

1. SunflowerTheBun

SunflowerTheBun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.
    Hi all,

Not exactly an emergency but still would like some answers please.
    My 4 chicks and their mum have balls of dirt on their feet. Some kind of build up I imagine...
    I try to remove them with just my hands but I don't want to hurt them and they seem pretty stuck.
    The Chicks have been in the world about 2 months now and I think they've been able to pry this stuff of their toes by themselves. So I'm wondering if I should intervene?
    The funny thing is that my other hen and rooster don't have them, it's just the chicks and their mum. Any ideas what's causing this, should I be worried and does it hurt?
    It's not on all their toes either, just some. It varies, really.

- Sunny

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You will probably need to soak their feet in warm water to soften the poop balls.
    Depending on the level of "build up" you may need to do it over the course of several days.

While chickens will naturally walk through all types of things and can get a small amount of mud/debris/poop stuck on their toes, generally they should remain relatively clean. This will help avoid future problems like infection, feet deformities, etc.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/03/when-baby-chicks-need-pedicure-manure.html

3. SunflowerTheBun

SunflowerTheBun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.
    Okay, thanks for the info! I'll keep an eye on it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by