Balls of food accumulating on young quail toes

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Lobzi, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Does anyone else have a problem with this? Im constantly cleaning off toe balls from the baby and young quail. Also their beaks need frequent cleaning as the food seems to accumulate there too. Neither issues seems to bother the quail but I worry it might cause them problems if the accumulation builds up over time.

Of course they protest upon cleaning but I feel the need to attend to it anyway.

2. Invision

Invision Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Washington, Kitsap County
    try putting them on Pellets (bedding). allows excess food to fall through and also gives them something to wipe there beaks off, move the food apart further so they are not getting wet feet before and after eating.

3. Lobzi

Thanks for those suggestions, space is limited but I think the main issue is that some of the food I give them is wet. They love the wet corn and and I make scrambled eggs for them too. They trounce around in the food, dry and wet. I dont really think they are getting their feet at least wet from water so much. Their beaks, Im not so sure.

4. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Try putting them on sand. It keeps their feet cleaner and they can eat if for grit. You can scoop or sieve out the dirty parts and replace it if it gets damp in places. You can also put their feeders up on bricks or blocks of wood so they have to reach up to get their food. If you are not already doing so give them their feed in covered chick feeders or plastic shoe boxes with holes cut in the sides for their heads so they can't walk in their food.

5. Lobzi

Oh those are all great ideas. The wet food for sure in something partially covered should help. Ill see what I can fabricate. Thank you all for giving me some ideas to work with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by