BAMA! Luck Changing? Out of 8 RIR Chicks, I Have...Drumroll, plz....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by speckledhen, May 27, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

SEVEN pullets? [​IMG] Can this really be true? JULIE! Ms. BamaChicken, did you send me all your pullet eggs this time around? They hatched April 23-24, so are now 5 weeks old. I need to see how many boys I have since I am advertising them for sale now. I got my little Velcro strip legbands in my pocket and went out to the pen to band all the RIR cockerel chicks. That makes it easier to count how many boys I have since they just wont hold still for a minute. I grabbed the first little guy, got his spiffy sparkly lavender band on, then proceeded to look for another with the help of my DH-not easy among the similarly colored Welsummers. We looked out in the pen. Ok, well, the boys must be hanging inside the coop, gossipping around the waterer. I go inside. Nope. All Wellies in there. Where are all the RIR cockerels? I see no other pinky combs. All other RIR chicks have the longer pullet-y tails, the thicker feathering, the smaller, yellowy combs except one that looks slightly bobtailed. I grab it. Nope, comb is still very yellow and small. Could be a late-bloomer, but I have no other obvious cockerels, just the one. I remove that boy's legband so he wont get beat up by the other boys for wearing lavender and count myself very lucky! Heck, I just might keep him. Got enough for a small breeder flock of top-quality RIRs here!
    Julie, meant to ask you, how many roosters and hens do you have in your RIR flock now? You must have lost your RCRIR roo before I got my eggs; all mine are definitely single combed.

On the other hand, Miss Jody, out of the three Buff Orp chicks I managed to hatch from your eggs, I have one lone pullet chick and two handsome cockerels. Oh, well. Them's the breaks.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  2. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Cyn, I did lose my Rosecomb Cock before you got eggs so the Rosecomb hen is in with the rest. My neighbor just informed me he hatched four Rosecombs from some eggs I sent him. I have eight hens all straight combs but one. Best egg layers ever. I got 7 eggs from their pen two days in a row. I will cull these back to the top four in the fall when I have some new pullets to lay.

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    wow you finally got the luck you wanted you should breed RIR's and Welsummers.

Good Luck wow I am jealous,
    Henry

4. speckledhen

Well, darn, I didn't get any rosecombs, but I did get some gorgeous chicks just the same. Good to know they are such great layers! Hope their daughters are, too. [​IMG] Henry, I dont know about the Welsummers, but I know my husband loves the really dark RIRs, so he might be willing to keep this one cockerel. We'll see. It'd mean another pen and coop, though, but Julie's RIRs are wonderful. I've had them before.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  5. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Hey Better start now [​IMG] I need an RIR a BO and a BR girl my next go around because I don't have any of them and my marans are laying horrible if they keep this up I will get replacment pullets this fall. MY AMERUCNAS ARE LAYING BETTER THEN THEM!!!!!!!! :eek: and they started last week AHHHHHHHHH Those dark eggs are nice though

6. speckledhen

One of these days, Henry, you are going to get a bator and you know who's going to be sending you those eggs, right? [​IMG] Got a dozen with your name on them.

7. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Heck when I get out of here I am going to be a farmer and will supply my own stock I have already got a meat bird breeding in mind . Favorrel and a big framed bird [​IMG] and maybe also marans just a thought. I will be ordering eggs by the ten's of dozens in about 5 or 6 years [​IMG]

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good! I will have a bator this year! [​IMG] Then I will be contacting Cyn for some Suede eggs. [​IMG]

He is so purty and BIG.

9. speckledhen

Well then Mr. BigShot Farmer, I might be buying eggs from YOU, LOL!

10. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Oh I am so happy for you! 7 pullets that is wonderful. I have a little rose combed RIR from Julie and I just love her. I guess you guys will be building a new pen before to long. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by