BAMA Mottled Orp update

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BamaChicken, Sep 13, 2008.

1. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Well I am down to 2 new breeders for the season. Ferral cats wiped out my BAMA chicks. Fortunately the Cats are no longer a problem after a loss of seven chicks to them.
    Any how I thought I would show an updated pic of my BAMA pullet and I have a cockerel a bit younger than her that is actually larger than she is and is now getting his spots.
    My Roo Bama is in a molt and so is the hen so will be interesting to see if he molts out darker or lighter and if she molts out lighter again.
    Here are the progeny.
    [​IMG]

You can see the white beginning to come on this cockerel
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also notice that the legs are not slate. They are mottled. The beaks tend to be white and eyes gold on these mottled/erminette/BAMA

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Julie, it sure looks like its working. I can't wait to see the second and third generation on these guys.

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

It's so good to see those pics. I can't wait to see if I get any out of this hatch. A couple more weeks now....

4. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
    Jared you may not be able to see the difference as chicks from the black till they grow a bit. Notice the legs first then the beaks.

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:So are the legs and beaks "mottled" too? I know that my whites have white beaks and legs and my blacks have black legs and beaks.

I am looking for blacks too so either way will be fine with me. I hope to have BBS and Bama out of the eggs you sent. Time will tell.

6. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
    The beaks are definitely lighter, almost white and sometimes speckled. If you notice the blues and Blacks they are gray beaks usually dark.

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:That's good to know. I'll be looking for that. I can't wait and you are making it worse with these pics ya know?

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You know I am drooling over those photos. I love your Bama as much as I love my Red. Viva La Non-Standard Coloures! LOL

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Looks beautiful to me!!!!!!!!!!!!1

10. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Speaking of mottled birds --

I may be purchasing one or two mottled bantam cochins this next week. Should I expect that the younger ones will naturally be darker -- and therefore I shouldn't worry if they don't have much white yet? They'll get whiter as they mature?

I just love the mottled and splash colors, along with all the different versions of spangled/mille fleur/jubilee. [​IMG] Thanks for any info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by