BamaBlue Chicks Update - 3 weeks old w/pics!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DawnSuiter, Aug 12, 2008.

1. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, we're 3 weeks in, everyone is healthy and all the 3 weekers moved into the hen house, because I have to get the brooder ready for new chicks early next week.

These two hatched from some eggs from BamaChicken, a suprise because we weren't expecting these eggs to be from a blue hen, but apparently they were!
    So.. here they were at a couple days old:
    [​IMG]

and here they are now! For sure these are blue right?
    This is the one on the left, all grey, we're thinking cockerel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the one on the right and we're hoping pullet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and because 15 chicks is a lot for our snoozer brooder, we moved them into the newly vacated hen house (moved the boys to the tractor) in a sectioned off area with heat lamp, since some are slow feathering.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    IMO they are too young to be on the sand that I use in the rest of the hen house so I put down chips over the sand for them in their section.

So.. what do you think of my new chicks? If you didn't know, we tried this once already with 7 Buffs, and ended up with 7 cockerels, so we had to start again... a few more weeks and we'll know for certain if we've had any better luck this time.

Thanks for looking! [​IMG]

2. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Oh, they are beautiful, Nice set up for the chicks too. It looks like a pair to me. Definitely blues. Really pretty. I want to see them when you get them grown.

3. c.wilson

c.wilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    just b-e-a-utiful

4. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    SOO CUTE!

5. DawnSuiter

Thank you!! They are all so lovely, but the blues are definitely the prettiest in this bunch! They stick out like a sore thumb among their black housemates and it's cute. They are often side by side as well, so fingers crossed on that pair!

I will definitely keep posting pics as the time wears on, maybe these two will be the most beautiful (only) blues in my county, and we can win at the fair next year with them! [​IMG] uh, wait.. if I do that then i won't be able to breed them with anyone else cuz they'll be in quarantine! :eek: well.. it all depends on how they grow anyway.

Thanks for the compliments, we're so proud.

6. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Oh my gosh, they are lovely, Dawn. I really need to post pics of our three chicks. They are growing like weeds. Maybe I'll have time this afternoon.

7. DawnSuiter

GK! How are you doing?? So glad to hear your group is doing well too! Thanks for keeping up with me! Lets see those pics!!!

I have 10 more eggs due on Tuesday [​IMG] and I can't wait to see them, they are also a first for me in that it'll be the first time I hatched local eggs (not shipped) plus they are a breed cross that I'm hoping to get something pretty out of. [​IMG]

8. DawnSuiter

Photo Update: 4 Weeks Old
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. DawnSuiter

Weeeeell..... they're boys :| both of them.. I'm pretty sure, course I'm new and could get it wrong, but finally now that we have a few girls in da house we can see a BIG difference in wattles & legs.. my goodness... in comparison the boys have TREE TRUNKS and the girls have these little skinny things.. so obvious, or so that's what I'm thinkin' now

I'll post more pics next week when I herd them up to seperate boys from girls..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by