BamaChicken RIR Rosecomb???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by EmptyNest, Jun 29, 2008.

1. EmptyNest

EmptyNest Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    SW Iowa
    This is a 9 week old RIR I hatched out of eggs from BamaChicken. Only 1 out of the 6 eggs hatched but did I hit the jackpot and get a rosecomb??? I hadn't really paid much attention until earlier this week when I was looking at my 5 week old RIR's I hatched from ZuniBee and realized the combs were totally different. What do you think - rosecomb?? Hen or roo????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You sure did! All of mine, all eight, were singles. Not sure on sex, but I'd go with cockerel for now, as red as that one's comb and wattles are.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Cockeral to me [​IMG]

4. EmptyNest

Jan 7, 2008
    SW Iowa
    When you breed a rosecomb to a single do you get a 50 - 50 split?

5. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I am not sure the percentages. I lost my RC Roo earlier in the year. He just keeled over. Fine shiny heavy, Roostering and crowing and next morniing dead. I put my RC hen back with my SC and I keep getting a few RC chicks. I am keeping a young cockeral and a pullet I have and I will try a trio again. Well actually a Quad as a friend gave me back a Rosecomb pullet from the original Roo.

6. EmptyNest

Jan 7, 2008
    SW Iowa
    He is my only rosecomb so this fall I'll breed to my single combs. It will be interesting to see what kind of percentages we get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by