Bama's Orpington Grandchicks! Baby Pics! Are 2 blues? & My Australorps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DawnSuiter, Jul 26, 2008.

1. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everyone! I hatched my first chickies, some orpington eggs from Bama over Black Hens and here they are!! We hatched 7 out of 12 viable eggs (viable on day 18)

The silver chicks a few hours post hatch... are they blues??
    [​IMG]

Silvers fluffed up the next day, the 2nd one not so silver anymore
    [​IMG]

Focus on this silver beauty:
    [​IMG]

The 6 that hatched out within 24 hours of eachother
    [​IMG]

And the next day, I woke up and found "wimpy" in the incubator all alone. After a few hours wimpy was very lethargic so I moved him/her to the brooder asap. She/he is still lethargic today, 2 days later. Time will tell...
    [​IMG]

Soo? How did I do? Aren't they pretty??

All 1st hatch pics are located here: 1st Hatch Album

And here are my australorps who arrived by post & bamachicks all together in my Snoozer (toddler bed) brooder:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] We have 15 chicks!!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Very nice looking chicks! Love the Bama chicks.

3. DawnSuiter

Thank you Miss Prissy

[​IMG] I am in love with their cuteness, and can not wait to see what colorings they all develop into. I understand daddy was born black in appearance, and so I suppose that means, with even the blacks, I have no idea what they will end up looking like!

what an adventure...

can I ask you a question... I've seen a few of them doing the baby cockadoodledoo motion.. do girls do that too when they are small like this? or have I just seen some roos coming out of the crowd?

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Raise enough chicks and I think your eye trains itself to see the boys and the girls fairly early at any given time. [​IMG] It is possible you are seeing for yourself a baby roo.

5. DawnSuiter

Well i certainly don't have the experience of many babies yet, but i do feel a bit of a natural here... I noticed it in my last group of 7 buff cockerels.. and i've seen it from the large australorp (which were supposed to be pullets) and two of those I hatched, the 1st to come out and Silver chick.

OH BOY....

literally..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2008
  6. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Those are pretty chicks. Did I send all Bama chicks or did I thrown in some possible Blue Boys? Did those blue ones hatch from eggs I sent? I am going to have to start writing down specifics for myself. Ha Ha

7. DawnSuiter

Hi Bama-gramma! [​IMG]
    I'm glad you finally saw the pics!
    Thanks! and you did send 3 blue eggs, unfortunately, nothing developed in two of them, however the 3rd grew into a very large chick who couldn't get out of his shell... (I have a pic posted if you want to see that) so no Blue boys in this group... unless Bama is throwing blues, which might be possible I think? or no?

8. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    No. i did have one blue hen in there with him though and I thought she had quit laying cause she was going broody. In fact she has eggs pipping this morning. Probably from her.

9. DawnSuiter

So that makes him a BamaBlue? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Well.. what should I mate him with next spring, assuming he grows beautifully, I don't mind trying to continue your experiment if you want; send you back some eggs.. whatever.

[​IMG]

10. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Oh Dawn, they are sooooooooo adorable!! [​IMG]
    How is wimpy now? I'll keep him in my thoughs. "Gimpy" is sending her well wishes as well! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by