BamBam,My EE just layed her first egg today! I am so excited!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by VT Chick-lit, Sep 17, 2008.

1. VT Chick-lit

VT Chick-lit Out Of The Brooder

BamBam, my EE just layed her first egg today. [​IMG] I was so proud of her. [​IMG] BamBam was hatched on April14 and I purchased her when she was 8 weeks old. The egg she layed was a robins egg blue one that was medium in size. Will her eggs get larger as she gets older? What can I expect for a quantity of eggs from her? I also have a RIR named Penny who is the same age as BamBam. They were purchased together. Penny has not started laying yet. I thought she would be first, since her comb has been quite red for weeks now. BamBam only has a pink comb. Go figure! [​IMG]

2. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Quote:[​IMG] You're lucky to get a blue egg...good for BamBam!
    My EE's started laying a couple of weeks ago and they lay a small egg and in a another few weeks it should reach a nice size and as for how many ....only time will tell but you should get about 5 or 6 a week but not at the beginning of course.

maybe Penny is laying in a hidden place?

3. VT Chick-lit

I had thought of that. I looked yesterday and found none. My hens do not free range (too many predators) so they have a small coop (5 X 5 X 6 feet) and their L shaped run, which is 10 X 6 and 10 X 10. I scoured the area yesterday with out luck.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations, isn't it fun?!
    My golden comets are laying, almost of all of them have been offering a daily egg, but they're production reds bred eggsactly for that. It's like getting a daily gift from each girl, eight yesterday![​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Watch out you will want more hens. We sell Easter Eggers and it is sad when they all leave;but there are more. Got to love those colored eggs! In general give her 10 days to lay bigger eggs; they usually do unless she is a bantam.

6. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Congrats on your first EE egg. I got my first one Saturday. It is like Christmas everyday. Presents.

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    congrats on your first egg [​IMG]

8. VT Chick-lit

Penny, my RIR laid her first egg today! [​IMG] I was worried , when BamBam, who was hatrched the same day laid her first egg before Penny. Penny had been showing all the signs of being ready to lay for weeks now. I thought that she would lay first. She laid her egg one day after BamBam, They laid their first egg at 22 weeks 1 day and 22 weeks and 2 days respectively.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  9. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Betty, my Black Australorp, laid her first egg today! [​IMG]

Hooray for our girls!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by