1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bamboo ???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Lstorns, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Lstorns

Lstorns New Egg

Mar 29, 2015
    So I've noticed my girls eat bamboo leaves and really seem to like them. Well I thought that since bamboo is a type of grass that it would be a great supplemental and organic addition to their diet. It is one of the fastest growing plants out there. And I can barely keep it under control so I'm pretty sure its sustainable. But my question is , Is it ok to let them eat it ?

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  3. glib

glib Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2007
    Bamboo shoots have substantial cyanide (degraded when cooked), although I have eaten raw shoots without ill effects. Cows too prefer bamboo leaves (very high protein) to grass, so my guess is that cyanide is there only during the shoot phase.

4. Lstorns

Lstorns New Egg

Mar 29, 2015
    thanks Ill look around some more but the this info is great. I was only wondering about the leaves because as I clear the bamboo I can let them feed on the leaves of the stalks I tae down. Theres not much I can do about the shoots though. Their yard is clear of all bamboo so I guess they are eating them s they come up but I cant control where theywill pop up and theydont seem to have harmed the girls yet so I guess tey are cool. Thanks again

5. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    chickens love bamboo and no it is not toxic

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by