1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

banana crazy hens...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mrs. Feathers, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    My girls have a new obsession...they are crazy about bananas!!![​IMG]
    I have them on layers mash, scratch I make (BOSS, crushed oats, wheat and flax) and of course just the odd fruit-veggie-oatmeal feed for treats plus oyster shells for free feeding...
    It is interesting that my not yet laying girls are not interested in the bananas making me wonder if I am giving the layers too much calcium and they are craving bananas for the potassium to balance things out.....or they just [​IMG] them and I am thinking too much [​IMG]

2. allison finch

allison finch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I'll have to try some bananas. Right now my chickens lust after shredded cheese over anything else. Cheese=chicken CRACK!! I also buy cans of unsalted kernel corn. An absolute fave.

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    My chickens treat bananas like the plague, they act as though I've thrown out trash for them to eat- the bananas just sit around, turn gross, and then I have to compost them- dang chickens! [​IMG]

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Mine love them too--roosters and hens alike. I feed gamebird with oystershell freechoice so they regulate their own calcium needs, but still go bonkers for bannanas so I don't think it has anything to do with the potassium, they just LOVE them!

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Its love here too! [​IMG]

6. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Love them here, too. Now, in the summer, freeze them first and watch them go after it, nice and cooling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by