1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Banana Leaves. Will they harm my birds if eaten?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gabe4223, Jun 26, 2011.

1. gabe4223

gabe4223 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Montgomery County,Texas
    I want to use theses leaves to provide shade for my run. but i want to know if these can be harmful? If eaten?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. gabe4223

Jun 8, 2011
    Montgomery County,Texas
    Anyone?

3. ChickyLoo

ChickyLoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
  4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    No, banana leaves are edible, to humans and chickens. The leaves are used as plates, food wrappers, and steaming pouches in many tropical countries for various foods/dishes, and you can buy them frozen at some specialty markets to use as tamale wrappers.

They do tend to have a slight laxative effect in large quantity, but I doubt they would eat so much at any one time as to be a problem. The chickens will no doubt do more damage to the banana plants than the plants will do to the chickens.

FWIW, I've found that banana peels are one of the few things my chickens don't eat, I guess they don't like them.

1 person likes this.
  5. Nope!

6. ChickyLoo

ChickyLoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Mine eat banana peels like spaghetti sometimes we feed them banana with skin on & they pick away at it [​IMG]

7. gabe4223

Jun 8, 2011
    Montgomery County,Texas
    thanks for the input

8. ScouterJoe

ScouterJoe Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2011
    Good to know about the bananas. I've got some over-ripe ones I was thinking of giving them this morning. Breakfast here we come.

9. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Quote:great ideal - I will try myself, I have a huge banana tree. Thanks
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by