1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Banana ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by USMCSGT, Jun 8, 2008.

1. USMCSGT

USMCSGT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2008
    Do any of you feed your chicken's, banana's? I had some that were just about to start rotting. Peel was getting the little black spots on them. So I decided to see if the crew would like them. I thought they would peck them for just a little bit. They had about 6 ate up before I pulled the others out. They just looked at me like I was taking their water away from them.

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Our love them and just about any other fruit that we offer them. If I'm not mistaken, bananas are especially good for them in the summer time when it's hot because of their potassium content.

Someone, please, correct me if I'm wrong on this one! [​IMG]

Dawn

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I don't know if they are supposed to have them or not, but my chickens and ducks love them as treats. They like pretty much all fruits and veggies and as long as they have scratch and such too I've never seen a problem with it.
    K

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Mine eat them [​IMG] But then again, mine eat EVERYTHING.

5. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

my chickens favorite things are bananas and water melon [​IMG]

6. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I may have to try one frozen!! (Me and Miss Chook got a bit over-sunned today.) Put the peels under your roses if you have any. They'll bloom like mad.

7. nmred

nmred Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2007
    What a great idea! Never thought of bananas. Do you think they would eat just the peels? (We eat the rest!![​IMG]) I usually compost the peels, but if the girls like them and they're good for them I would love to feed them to the hens instead.

8. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

the peel is bad for the chicken.. im pretty sure.. but the est is fine, frozen, mushed, puree, solid.. LOL

9. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    bury them under the rosebushes, the pottassium is good for them.

10. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    I may be hording the peels for the new bushes we just put in LOL thanks for the info!

Louella

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by