1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Band aid boots on my little banty...I have ????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newchickenfamily, Jan 15, 2009.

1. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello!

Some of you may have seen the bantam drama that unfolded at my house on Tuesday! After 24 hours of not being able to fully hatch, I helped it out.

So far, the chick is doing well eating and drinking.

BUT, it's toes were all smushed together and it was having a hard time standing up and getting around. Most likely why it couldn't hatch on it's own! *sigh* I know Mother Nature knows best, but I couldn't stand to see it struggling for so long.

Anyway, I followed some directions about making band-aid boots, and chickie is now sporting pink Hello Kitty feet. How long do I keep them on, how often should I check it's feet and re-apply band aids, etc...?? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    awwww, he looks soooo cute [​IMG]

Does he have a friend in there with him ???

I would leave them on for 3-5 days and then check, if needed put a new pair back on !!!

GOOD LUCK !! And keep us updated !!!

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I had to help a hatch mate of Nugget's, he had his toes stuck together and was spraddle-legged too. He had cardboard on his feet and his legs taped together. He runs really funny, picture the weird guy with the cat in Harry Potter? I'll never let Tux go, he's a good roo, he's sweet and he has health issues, but he'll be a year old next month I believe.

4. newchickenfamily

Thanks guys... he does not have a little friend in there with him! He was the only banty egg that hatched. The other "big" chicks were so mean that I had to separate little banty. He has his own shoe box brooder within the big brooder. The other chicks look like Godzilla next to the poor little thing.

I will check his feet in a couple of days and re-apply if necessary. I hope the little banty is a SHE, because I don't think I will be able to part with it. [​IMG] Big chicks, however, will be leaving for a new home (I hope!).

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I bet her little foot will be fine after a couple of days.

have some kind of oil or something handy when its time to take the band-aid off, they stick REALLY well to those little legs. I had to use Vit E oil on q-tips to get the band-aid off my little one.

6. newchickenfamily

Thanks for the vote of her Wildsky! And for the oil advice.

Update: After I read swtangel's comment about having a "friend" in there, I took the smallest of the "big" chicks and put it in with banty chick.

7. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:There must be 1 big chick who is kind of calm and nice you could stick in there with him !!!

Are you getting rid of them all ??

8. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:YAY !!!!! [​IMG]

Im sure she will be happy !!!!!!

EDIT : oppps, fixed "he" to "she"

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  9. newchickenfamily

Yep, I'm going to re-home them all (not sure about little banty though! [​IMG] )

I got a "bargain box" of eggs from another BYC'er to test out my incubator for the first time. I got 11 eggs and 6 hatched. I went into it knowing that I wasn't going to keep this group.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by