Banded pigeon found

Kismet

Songster
15 Years
Jul 3, 2008
New Hampshire, USA
This afternoon a banded pigeon appeared on top of my chicken coop. Her band says: NPA 7 09 AP 1509
She flew back and forth and didn't seem to want to leave. I know nothing about pigeons. Right now she is in a pen with food and water. She has obviously been handled a lot - she was easy to catch and she is used to a pen.
Should I just let her (or him?) go? Is there a way to trace her band? I don't know of anyone around here who raises pigeons, so I have no idea how far she has come.
I would appreciate any advice!

12694_img_1902.jpg

I'm just wondering if there is a pigeon person out there who could respond. If I don't hear from anyone, I think I will just release her and hope she finds her way home.
Thanks.

The NPA on the band means the pigeon is owned by a member of the National Pigeon Asociation. It is a racing pigeon that for some reason lost it's way home.I will give you a link to the NPA website.Look to the column on the left and click on "found pigeon". This will tell you what to do in finding the pigeon's owner.Racing pigeons fly races that can be several hundred miles long.Sometimes they lose course due to bad weather,etc. They are expensive birds and the owner would be more than happy to pay for the shipping to get it back.Sometimes they just let the finder keep them.Good luck,hoped this helps.Keep us posted,will be interesting how this turns out.

www.npausa.com

Thank you so much! I went on the website, found the page (under FAQ) for lost pigeon and emailed the contact for the NPA. The site also explained how to read her band.
I will let you know what happens.

Well, it turns out that my lost pigeon is registered to a man in California! I have left a message on his machine telling him his bird is safe and sound.
I am amazed that she is so far from home! Perhaps she was released closer to New Hampshire? Could she really travel that far - 3,000 miles!!
I am looking forward to a call tonight when he gets home - it's a three hour time difference.

Definitely didn't fly that far on its own, but I'm sure someone probably sold it and shipped it up there. It appears to be a roller, which would explain it being lost, since they don't have much homing ability.

Back
Top Bottom