1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Banding baby chicks...When???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tail_feather, Mar 30, 2009.

1. tail_feather

tail_feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    About to have baby chicks to hatch. I have never banded my chicks. Can someone tell me when I need to band them? Thank you!![​IMG]

2. tail_feather

Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    I know this seems rather stupid, but If anyone has any info on banding, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks [​IMG]

3. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    I have never banded chicks but I know domestic bird breeders band their babies as soon as they can so that their legs don't get too big to fit the band. I would guess within the first couple of days you could band them. But that isn't from experience, just my opinion.

4. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    I have not yet done this, but will need to as I am going to want to tell mine apart by age when they are older. So I would love to get a good answer also.

5. tail_feather

Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    I think it is a good idea. Definately for the age issue. If anyone out there has knowledge and would like to share pls do! Thanks again![​IMG]

6. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    [​IMG]
    me too!!!! waiting for answer

7. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    SundownWaterfowl uses Velcro and cuts them into small strips. That way they are easily repositioned, washable, you can use several colors to distinguish between breeds &/or sexes and can be adjusted to grow with the chick. Hope that helps you a little. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  8. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

are you just looking at banding for age. or for knowing who it's parents are???
    just curious.....

I have never banded any of our birds before. but I would assume you can band at a couple days old(so legs are strong enough to hold that little bit extra weight...I know they are very light, but I would think it'd be like a lead weight for a baby chick)...You will probably have to have different sizes for the birds as they grow too....
    I am sure different breeds have different sized legs too and may grow at different rates...

on a side note...do they make bands small enough for day old chicks???
    Or was that one of your main questions when asking...lol (I get confused easily at times.... [​IMG] )

9. tail_feather

Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    I personally have BBS Orps in one bator to hatch the 12th and all black Orps in another bator to hatch on the 13th. I am wanting to keep the all blacks "marked" in some way. For breeding purposes next year. The velcrow is a good idea!!! It is not heavy. Does anyone know if they have bands that are "snap on" for when the chicks become adults??? I would like to keep record of age and parents when I begin to breed. [​IMG]

10. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    I just need to be able to tell last yrs hens apart from this yrs. We have them for eggs and meat and replace our roos each yr so don't worry about breeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by