1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Banding Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kerath, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Kerath

Kerath Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I have an incubator full that is about to go into lockdown tomorrow. For various reasons, I'd like to keep track of who is who from day one. Do you guys have any suggestions for marking or banding ducklings so I can keep them straight?

2. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    colored twisty ties?
    yarn?
    mini zip ties?
    colored string?

3. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    duck&chickencrazy gave you a lot of great ideas. Another is by painting their toenails different colors. Zip ties are one of the most common bands.

4. Quacking

Quacking Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    I just use zip ties on mine Kerath. I do have to swap them over about three times as they grow. They come in so many different colours and using them on just one or each foot rather than just left or right can give you so many different colour combinations.

5. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    DON'T use anything that they can chew on! Especially string, yarn, etc. They will get the fibers caught around their tongue.

6. Kerath

Kerath Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    That was my fear in using something like yarn or string.
    Where do you find the tiny zip ties? Hardware store?

7. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Any hardware store should have them, unfortunately, they don't come in a pile of colors. You may need to "paint" them.

If you do colorize, make sure the paint is water proof! (and non-toxic)

I've seen some multi-colored bands for sale at the chicken-duck internet sites..........they are not cheap.

8. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:i get my cable/zip ties online at SecureCableTies.com they have 13 colors in the little 4" ties.You can't beat the prices or customer service either!

9. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Check out staples or office depot or the like for colored zip ties if you can find them at a HD or Lowe's type place. I have seen small ones at HD/Lowe's though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by