Banding/marking breeds or sex?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Lothiriel, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    A friend asked me if McMurray's bands or somehow marks chicks of different breeds or sex. I've never ordered from them, so I thought I'd ask here. Do they mark them in any way to differentiate or is it just a wait and see game?
    TIA!

2. NashobaLosa

NashobaLosa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    My order wasn't marked and I'm under the impression that they generally aren't. However I will say I could tell the different breeds apart at once by color and size other than the free mystery chick which i'm fairly sure is a Dark Cornish boy. Many of their breed pages have pics of the chicks or you can look on the Internet as long as you know what you ordered.

3. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Thanks NashobaLosa! You're right. Generally the orders aren't marked. But I emailed them and they responded and said you can request that your chicks be marked.

4. NashobaLosa

NashobaLosa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    Oh thats good to know. Did they say how they would mark them and if there is an extra charge? I'm curious... In case I find myself needing more chickens. I've been quite happy with this batch. Of course I've been thinking about hatching eggs, or poultry shows, or.... Well it's chicken addiction I suppose.

5. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    No, they didn't say how. I could ask though...
    Ah yes... the addiction... [​IMG]

6. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I just got a reply from them.
    They said they would mark either the head or the breast with a magic marker.

I must say I'm quite impressed with their promptness in answering my questions. I've never really dealt with hatcheries before, since I've always ordered through my local feed stores, so I can't compare them to anyone. But they seem like a good company to do business with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by