bands

donkeydew2farms

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 12, 2014
what kind of bands do you use on turkeys . i used plastic one i got from premier and they did not fit they were to big and they fell off they were suppose to fit geese and turkeys. i have royal palms and geese. thanks.

I use multi-colored zip ties on chicks and used them also on my new poults until around 2 weeks old, then I wing band everything. I use zip wing bands with the stamped numbers to track all my birds. I like waiting until 2 weeks to wing band because that is just my personal preference but you can wing band day olds. I order my wing bands from ebay or Amazon. My favorite seller on eBay is Bruce Jones from pinion hatch farm. You can also buy the pliers for the zip bands on there.

I prefer zip versus jiffy bands because we've had birds to lose jiffy bands. Never have had an adult to lose a zip band. A cockerel lost one in the brooder once because it got hung in the wire of the pen and it ripped out but the cockerel was absolutely fine, did not lose function of his wing at all. We just rebanded him on the other wing. My preference is to wing band the right wing so I can quickly feel for the band and find it without searching both wings. Saves me a little time when going through a lot of birds.

Those that worry about pain or bleeding: it does not bleed as the wing web is not very vascular. It's a thin triangular piece of skin below the wing cord before you get to the shoulder. Some chicks/poults fuss for a second as the band pierces the wing web but after that they are fine. Been wing banding birds for years. Don't wait past 2 weeks if you can help it as the wing web gets tougher as the birds grows and gets older and is harder to pierce. It can be done but may need to be assisted with a knife or scalpel tip on tougher adult birds from my experience.

Back
Top Bottom