banee hen adopted strange chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by debbyluvschickens, May 3, 2008.

1. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    I have a "barnyard bannee" hen, she is half bb red and half rhode island red. She had several little babies when I got her, but a couple drowned in a puddle (or got wet and died from the cold) and my daughter stepped on one(it broke her heart). Anyway, she is down to one baby, just barely feathered out, it is tiny.

I bought 11 standard sized pullets the other day. They are about 9 weeks old I think, so you can imagine their size. They are barely smaller than that hen( Henny Penny). She adopted all 11 of those babies. I could not believe that. She tries to cover them all up at night. I noticed she had hid a nest out on the ground and had laid 2 eggs in it. I caught her on the nest this morning...with her tiny baby and her 11 adopted ones! It was the cutest thing, her and those chicks as big as she is all sitting in her little nest while she laid her egg. I have never seen such a thing.

I guess I just have weird chickens, because my silkie rooster(fluffy) will call those little chicks and feed them and try and take care of them. Guess he is trying to make sure those young ladies grow up to be HIS ladies.

Just thought Id share, I thought she was so cute with all her babies large and small sitting in her nest.

2. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Can you get pictures? I'd love to see that! [​IMG]

3. debbyluvschickens

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    no problem taking the pics, but I dont know how to put them on here. I have tried several times. It is adorable though. I will take some pics today and try again to post them, I have a few chickens that I dont know what breed they are, and I wanted to post hem here for help...but I couldnt figure it out.

4. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    I use Photobucket.com... to post pictures here use the link that starts with "[​IMG]

I can't wait to see them!!!!

5. debbyluvschickens

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    thanks, I am going to try that and see if I can figure it out this time.

6. debbyluvschickens

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    thanks I figured it out. couldnt get a pic on the nest yet, but here she is taking them all to bed

[​IMG]

7. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    That is so cool. I have had hens share the nest and consequent chick rearing. I thought that was cool.
    Chickens are so much smarter than what they've been given credit for.

8. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    That is quite the determined momma, no? 2 eggs on the nest, 1 chick under her, and 11 adopted teenagers. All this and STILL not a feather out of place.

I nominate her for mother-hen of the year! [​IMG]

-Kim

Last edited: May 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by