bang for the buck!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by coo coo cachoo, Nov 18, 2010.

1. coo coo cachoo

coo coo cachoo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    can u build a better incubator than a pre made one for the money.
    i am new to hatching chickens.but i have been researching for a couple of weeks. and i cant decide wether i can build a better quality incubator for the price of a sore bought one. for me the incubator must be cabable of producing a minimum of 80% hatch rate and be fully automatic( except maybe humidity). and must be able to do all or most sizes of eggs . quail up to ostrich.
    i think that a incubator with a wafer thermostat would not be accurate enough. and i believe for high % yield it needs to be accurate to with in a degree or better. and it needs to have a turner for bests results.
    can a small refrigerator an egg turner and a quality temperture controler such as this. http://cgi.ebay.com/New-DIN-Digital...028?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa5c7ed94
    or this
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330469616863&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    be better than say a hovabator genesis? http://cgi.ebay.com/HovaBator-Genesis-Egg-Incubator-1588-Turner-Chicken-/330447316330?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf031e56a

or
    do pre made units have some advantage of being super accurate or a small incubater is best for heat retention. i dont know. anyone have any sugestions.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2010
  2. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    I bought a scrapped incubator that was made out of recycled wood for 50 bucks after I tested it I unplugged my industrial bator and all I am currently using is the wood bator. So I would say yes if its built right it can be alot better. I also Built a bator with a small freezer as well it works nicely.

3. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    I like the wafer setup, always done good for me, got me a mini fridge & built mine out of it & it holds temp. pretty good.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Can't beat a Brinsea ......

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I was a cabinet maker for 20 years & I kept eyeing my cousins Sportsman 1502. I went to my shop & built one just like it for $165 versus $600. But......then my electronic thermostat shorted my heater out. I decided to get a storebought 1502, because I was a cabinet maker, not an electrician. [​IMG]

6. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    You can't COUNT ON an 80% hatch rate in ANY incubator. There are too many variables. Some incubators have better temperature and humidity control than others. Brinsea, for example, is good and reasonably priced.

(It's my opinion that a reliable $120-200 incubator is reasonably priced. A $50 less still air that you pick up at any Farm Store that may or may not hatch out eggs depending on the phase of the moon is overpriced.)

Remember, if you are hatching shipped eggs, you want to be overjoyed if you get a 50% hatch rate - and that's in a good incubator.

7. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    My incubator is made out of a Pepsi cooler (the ones with the glass front doors in supermarkets). Hubby made it for less than $50, including buying the fridge. We have had about an 85% hatch rate, if you average all of them together. It has 4 movable shelves and we hatch in the very bottom of it. It has a water heater thermostat in it and it keeps a rock solid temp. The only thing we have to fiddle with, is adding water for humidity when it gets low.

If you can find one of these, or something like it and have electrical knowhow, I would recommend this route to anyone.

Plus, the huge glass door, is perfect for seeing them hatch and not wanting to open it up to see what is going on in there!

8. coo coo cachoo

Nov 14, 2010
    capable of 80% hatch rate. i know there is no guaranty
    i think i will go with the old fridge method. i just ant imagine a more capable machine than. a fridge with a quality controler. and a good fan and heater . i dont see the store bought machines being better.

anyway i guess i will find out.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2010
  9. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    The first thermostat you linked to looks like a promiseing unit, but there is a big varible to consider. First it reads in Celcius and not F. No biggie as long as you are confortable with the conversions. Second, it list that it will work with a varity of sensors, but doesnot mention which sensor, if any is included with the unit. To get the precision that they are refering to might mean using a $200 sensor, or it might work just as well with a $2 sensor. Either way, if the sensor isnot included, then this is just another purchase you will have to make, and hope you choose the correct one for the accuratcy you desire. I would contact them before buying and see if a temp sensor is included or must be bought seperate.

The second Thermostat you linked to is made by Cbiblis, a member on this forum. I currently have 3 of those thermostats in working incubators in my basement, running 24/7. I also just bought a forth one last wk to build another bator with. They work excellent as long as you can read and follow his directions. He now includes a very detailed instruction sheet so wireing is fairly straight forward.

On another note, Chris also builds turner motor controllers for use with those little robotic gear motors. I have two in working incubators right now. I am turning 3- 48 egg trays at a time, but have the same controler and motor ordered to run 6 48egg trays at the same time. I have no doubt it will do what I am asking it to do with out any problems. Turning speed can be adjusted to suit the speed you desired by just turning an adjustment screw. I use the point of my pocket knife, but a small screwdriver will work just as well. I cant never find my small screwdriver, but my knife I keep in my pocket. LOL. Anyways, my motors and controller as well as thermostats, have been running pretty much nonstop since Jan of this year and no problems so far.

As for the old Fridge. They make excellent cabinet bators. Instead of a old fridge, I would probably first go to all the convience stores in your area and look for one of those energy drink coolers. They have a certain advantage in that the doors are usually double insulated glass, so you can see inside easily, and they also dont have that bump at the bottom back where the compressor sits, which give you more room inside. A lot of the time, you will find these old coolers sitting around being unused and in the way and can pick one up for very little money and maybe even free if you will hual it off. I got an old wine cooler last wk that I intend to use just the glass doors off of, the rest I will scrap. It was free!!!!, just had to get it out of their way.

10. coo coo cachoo

Nov 14, 2010
    very good observation on the sensor.
    and knowing that the outher is a member of this forum. and now i know his products support further development in the hobby i would rather pay a little more.

thank you very much !

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by