Bantam acting strange

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by therupps, Dec 3, 2011.

1. therupps

therupps New Egg

Dec 3, 2011
    My chicken is acting strange. Two nights ago, she didn't go to the coop at night with the rest of the chickens. We thought a predator had gotten her, but then we saw her in the morning, hiding out under the snowblower. She spent yesterday hiding under my van. I'm not sure that she's eating or drinking. She does appear to be losing some feathers in her wing area, so maybe moulting. Could she be egg bound? Or have a cold?

2. MNShepherdess

MNShepherdess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Minnesota
    Could be many things. Coccidiosis comes to mind, because they always want a dark corner to hide in when that hits. Otherwise maybe a cold, or it's possible it's just from molting. I would try giving her some pick me ups(i.e. probios, vetrx, antibiotics in the water, etc), maybe a heat lamp, things to make her feel better.

3. therupps

therupps New Egg

Dec 3, 2011
    Thank you! I will try those!

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I agree that is is prudent to consider illness, but I thought I would mention that when hens have too many roosters around they sometimes hide in the coop away from everyone all day. Or in another spot.

This also happens if they are being bullied by another hen. Could this be possible?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by