bantam age help and other assorted bantam questions

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by superchemicalgirl, Aug 14, 2010.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Hi! Please help me age my bantam mixes. I have a bunch of 17 week large fowl chickens that I did a ton of research and planning on. Then on August 1st I went to a chicken swap and fell in love with a cute turken mixed with bantam roo. Research and planning went out the window. I decided to purchase him and I got him a friend, a random bantam female from the same lady. The next day I ended up taking a friends bantam/turken mix who also purchased her from the same lady. At the swap I was told they were all around 8 weeks old, give or take a week. The only problem is they don't look that old to me. When I got them they looked like my 4 week old large fowl chickens did. I've had them 2 weeks so now they'd be around 10 weeks old. I haven't had them under a heat lamp at all, but they've been in my basement which is somewhere between 65 and 80 degrees throughout the day. The two girls were mostly feathered out but the boys back only had pinfeathers when I got him.

I'm guessing because they have some bantam in them they just look younger to me? Anyone have a guess about age of these guys? Anyone have pictures of their bantams or bantam mixes around this age? In 2 weeks when they've done 4 weeks of quarantine can they go in with my big girls? Can bantams eat pellets? Anything special they need that large fowl don't? How well do they do in bad winters?

Here's the pictures, all taken a few minutes ago unless specified otherwise.

Random bantam, female:
    [​IMG]

My free bantam mixed with turken, female:
    [​IMG]

My rooster, bantam mixed with turken:
    [​IMG]

The roosters back. It was covered with pin feathers when I first got him, they're slowly growing now:
    Originally:
    [​IMG]
    This was a few minutes ago:
    [​IMG]

All of them:
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    They sure are cute!!IMine will eat anything,they free range my large fowl is mixed with my bantams,they do just fine in the cold and mine are outside at about 1wk.to 1.5wks with a heat lamp if it is cold at night.

3. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    The random look's like an EE to me I got one in mix from TSC spring and have 6 Standard's also.I previously had NN's and I loved them.They are winter hardy(Virginia here) and the one hen I kept was an excellent broody.I don't have any this time except one Showgirl silkie (NN).They look feathered good but I would try to house them sep. outside at first if you have room.The older bird's are most alway's agressive to newbie's.I just graduated 8 2 month old's to a sep. pen inside one coop a week ago and they are doing great.As far as pellet food you can try it as long as it isnt layer ration.Sometime's they will peck out the smaller pieces of pellet's depend's on their size.They are All Adorable!
    NN/frizzle

[​IMG]

4. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Thank you both for your advice. I will move them outside once they finish the 4 week quarantine. Unfortunately I don't have a way to separate them in the outside coop but the run is very large. I'm mostly worried about the size difference. These guys haven't really grown in the 2 weeks I've had them, despite being on 22% protein. My girls outside are gigantic. I think the first bantam girl could fit through the 2x4 hardware cloth fence I've got for the run. When is she going to get bigger?

And they are adorable and the funny thing is the one that I wanted (the rooster) is my LEAST favorite of the 3. Don't get me wrong, I like him (although he is a tad on the dumb side), but the ones I didn't pick out are stealing my heart.

The first picture, random female, doesn't have facial tufts and has very lightly feathered legs. I am pretty sure it's not an EE.

I also have a large fowl turken and I love her! She is gorgeous and friendly. She should be laying shortly.

5. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Yea the X mix is Identetical to mine she has leg fur and I was told EE so...I have never had any before this year so...I will take a pic of her tomm. repost maybe someone else has different breed info.Alll I know is I dont have a roo for her [​IMG]. Well I got lot's of roo's but none like her like my gorgeous speckled OEGB hen I got from TSC too.

6. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    A picture of yours would be great. How old is it? Does it lay eggs yet, if so what color?

Also how well do your frizzles do in the cold? I'd imagine a turken frizzle would need a turtle neck sweater up here from about September to April.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  7. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Well I have some really crumbly pellets of Flock Raiser left over from a bad batch. I threw some in the brooder with these guys and saw both turkens partake. Guess that answers that question.

Any other ideas on age of these guys?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by