1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam and impacted crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FrancescaSimon, Jul 16, 2011.

1. FrancescaSimon

FrancescaSimon New Egg

Jul 16, 2011
    Thanks to all of you at BYC - although I didn't get an immediate reply to my post, I was able to read a lot of information from you all.
    It gave me the courage to turn my chicken upside down for 10 minutes and gently massage her crop while I watched all this stuff come out from her beak. Boy, was there a lot of stuff in there! I'm pretty sure now that that is what it was - an impacted crop and what has made her front sore is that when she roosts at night on the hard crate, (I can't get them to roost anywhere else), her huge distended chest has been rubbing against the crate.
    Now she's walking around and pecking away with the rest of my flock and looking a lot less top heavy.
    I suspect I may have to do this a couple more times and I will move her to a softer roost situation.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Glad to hear that someone got something from all our posts!! Good job! I have never had to deal with an impacted crop, so after reading your post, I will know what to do!

You will enjoy the forums, there is so much to learn here and the folks are really great! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by