bantam and LF chicks together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mudsow, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Mudsow

Mudsow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2009
    I'm getting 2 bantam chicks and 2 LF chicks delivered this week. (minimum order) I'll be rehoming the LF chicks, however, I may have them a few days is it safe to keep them together? I've never seen bantam babies before, I'm getting excited. But I don't know how much smaller they will be than the LF chicks. I don't want my little girls getting picked on.

Mudsow

2. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    Mine got along great for a while, but then all of a sudden the large girls started picking on the little ones. I let the littel ones free range all day so they won't be picked on all day.

3. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I'm sure it would depend on the breed. My great big ole' fuzzy LF Cochins got picked on by the teeny tiny Silkies. Some breeds are just more docile and submissive. The Cochin bantams are nothing like the LF Cochins IMO. They're not near as gentle with other birds.

4. Mudsow

Mudsow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2009
    Well, it's supposed to be 2 bantam welsummers (pullets) and 2 standard partridge rocks (straight run) but I did say they could substitute the LF since they are going to be re-homed anyway. Since I was only allowed to get 2 bantam hens I don't want anything to happen to them. Didn't want to order 5 and then have small roos to find homes for.

I may put a separator in my brooder area just to be safe.
    I can't wait till they get here!!

5. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    I had a similar worry when I ordered 1 bantam and 4 LF breeds. Turned out fine--they're all one, big happy family.
    My little Easter Egger bantam has quite a fiesty little personality--it's adorable to watch!
    But she's also the tamest and most friendly.
    Her appetite is also as large as the others'! She's a little piggie!

6. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    What does LF stand for? My Dutch Bantam is my smallest chicken and she is one of the highest on the peckiing order of 20 chickens, 15 of them full sized BIG girls. She even bosses around my Brahma, who outweighs her by about 10 pounds, so you just never know how the dynamics of each flock will work themselves out, you just need to try it and moniter closely.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  7. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    LF means "large fowl". It certainly seems like the bigger the breed the more docile they are. I've considered Brahma for the same reason I've got LF Cochins-their gentleness. That will quite probably be the next chicken I get.

8. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Same with the big draft horses. Gentle giants. I love my Brahma. Her name is Wookie, but we call he Dufus because she iis SOO big and cumbersome. She is one of my favorites. Always happy with whatever. Never makes a fuss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by