Bantam and standard

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RooChick, Feb 14, 2017.

1. RooChick

RooChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2016
    Australia
    Hi everyone [​IMG]

I currently have a Golden Laced Wyandotte, Speckled Sussex, Light Sussex and Rhode Island Red.
    I would like to add a Silver Laced Wyandotte, rescue battery hen and a Pekin Bantam altogether.

I'm just a bit concerned, would it be okay for the Pekin Bantam seeing as it will be the only one who's small ?

Thanks !

2. Lucyluvchickens

Lucyluvchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2017
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    It really depends on how dominant your chickens are. Do you have roosters? Are your chickens tame? You could always keep the bantam in a cage if you want to. I used to have mostly standard sized birds and a couple of bantams. They sometimes got picked on, but I always made a little hiding place for them in the coop and run. That usually worked, but then I got a bantam rooster to protect them. That also worked. I hope that helped a little! :)

3. RooChick

RooChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2016
    Australia
    Thanks! [​IMG]

I don't have any roosters and the chickens I already have are pretty tame I guess ?
    They all run over to me when it's food time and I pick them up, pat them and hand feed them daily.

3 chickens are fairly easy going, but my Golden Laced Wyandotte is the boss and she certainly let the two newest chickens know it and that she won't be losing her top spot.
    At first, she did chase them quite a bit and wouldn’t let them sleep in the same area but every now and then if they try to eat something she wants, she’ll give a bit of a chase and peck, but she doesn’t hurt them.

So I thought if I introduce 3 chickens together, hopefully my Wyandotte’s attention will be split and not just go for the smallest ?

4. Lucyluvchickens

Lucyluvchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2017
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    Good plan [​IMG] I used to just keep my small chicken in a cage for a day or so, let the bird run around in the daytime in a little built in pen and I just put the chicken in the cage at night. After a few days, the top bird of the pecking order should start to get used to the new bird-at least that's what happens to mine [​IMG] As you start getting more chicks in the future, the pecking order changes and the bantam will most likely not be at the bottom of the pecking order, if you catch my drift. Then the top bird shouldn't really bug the bantam in the future, I guess they kinda learn to deal with it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by