Bantam Araucana--Pullet or Roo? Color?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LoupGarou, May 2, 2009.

1. LoupGarou

LoupGarou Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    I know that these pictures aren't the greatest and I know that the chick, at 2 weeks old, might be too young to tell sex--but hey, I need the practice taking and posting chicken pictures. [​IMG] Can anyone give me any insight into what my plucky little bantam is color- and sex-wise? Thanks!

Full Body: see the contrast in colors on her (wishful thinking?) wings?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Head Shots: bare spot, but no comb development

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    gold duckwing? What colour were the parents?

3. LoupGarou

Oct 15, 2008
    I have to take it on faith, since I got the eggs on eBay--and only one hatched! (my fault entirely, since I'm such a n00b) In any case, if I am to believe the seller, at least one of the parents looked like this:

[​IMG]

I'm guessing that's what she'll look like, but I have no experience with bird colors. I don't see any hint of red on her head, either, although there isn't much feather development starting there. The flock is all rumpless, the rooster is clean-faced and some of the hens have tufts. That's about all I know.

4. LoupGarou

Oct 15, 2008
    Anyone?

5. LoupGarou

Oct 15, 2008
    I'd appreciate any help someone can offer, please. She seems to have the same chick color as black araucanas, but there is that funky red marking on her wings. I don't think she's going to have the red head of the black red birds--can anyone advise me?

I know, I just have a few more weeks to see how she's going to feather out and I'm not interested in breeding for show, but it might be nice to see what other people think. [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Truly, it's too early to tell.

Stance would make me think roo, but I've been fooled before!

7. LoupGarou

Oct 15, 2008
    Thanks, Mahroni! I suspected that it might be a bit early, but I was hoping that I was wrong. I am sending "her" positive hen vibes by thinking of her as a pullet--I'm not sure about her sex since based on stance she might could be a roo, but based on her lack of comb development I'm really hoping that she's not. [​IMG]

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I agree, stance looks rooish....
    I can usually tell most of my cockerals in my araucana, they are always the first to jump out of the brooder to see me when I feed/water them. It's not an exact science but so far I have been right on them all....the pullets, even my older ones are more shy

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Most araucana combs are pretty small compared to other breeds.

The colour of her parent doesn't look like a defined variety, at least not one I know. But by the same token, it doesn't look like an adult bird.

I think you're just gonna have to wait a few weeks [​IMG]
    Sorry

10. LoupGarou

Oct 15, 2008
    Thanks for your responses! I know I just have to wait, but I've never been the most patient person in the world. [​IMG] I'm pretty sure that the parent was described in an email (which I can't find at the moment) as a blue or black red. That's the best I can do, unfortunately.

In terms of the comb being "small," how small is small? There is absolutely no sign that I can see of a comb in that naked spot on his/her head. How long is it before an araucana develops a comb, in general? I just ask because the buff orpington chicks I have have always had some sign of a comb.

It doesn't really matter, since unless this bird turns mean or super-loud, then it has a place with me for life. It was the first chick I ever had hatch and that gives it some measure of protection. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by