Bantam Assortment- silkie identifications?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Busymama, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Busymama

Busymama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    I was at our local feed store asking questions about the assorted tub of brand new bantam chicks. The employee who helped me said they aren't exactly pros when it comes to the baby chick department. [​IMG] Great.

I wanted to know if there was a way to identify silkies from another baby chick. He said they have big puffs on their heads and feathers on their feet.

Almost all of the chicks seemed to have a few feathers on their outside toe. Only two chicks seemed to have "bigger hair" than the others. They were a very pale creamy/ivory color. The employee told me those two where baby silkies. I bought them, along with 4 other little bantams.

Is this the right way to ID a silkie, or is it too early to tell? Did I just buy some random chickens? [​IMG]

2. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    I belive Silkies have five toe and dark skin. I don't know for sure, but if I post a reply, your thread won't drift off the page as fast.[​IMG]

3. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    Silkies have 5 toes and black skin. At least that's what I looked for when I was searching the TSC bins for them LOL. But I'm no expert either, so who knows what I really got! Oh, and mine don't seem to have big puffs on their heads yet, but they have the irritated Silkie look.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by