1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam Attacks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by A Lucky Ladybug, Mar 17, 2015.

1. A Lucky Ladybug

A Lucky Ladybug Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2015
    All 9 of my chicks have been in the same container since a few days old. They are now around 20 days old and my two bantams are starting to fight a LOT. The one is pecking the crap out of the other for no apparent reason. Why? How do I fix this? Does this mean she is a he? They rest are playing here and there but this one seems like a bully. These are my first chicks so I am very new to it all.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How large is the container: It sounds as if they may need more space.

3. A Lucky Ladybug

Mar 8, 2015
    I was actually thinking about moving them into a (rabbit hutch) tonight that we have but they are in a big rubbermaid container. I was afraid to move them outside just yet with the weather even though they seem more than ready to get out and explore/forage.

4. A Lucky Ladybug

Mar 8, 2015
    I just separated him or her and they are very clearly not happy with me, the noise level just tripled

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    9 chicks 20 weeks old sounds like too tight a fit for a tub - they grow amazingly fast. Crowding leads to behavior like picking. Can you supply heat in the hutch? Is it substantially bigger than their current housing?

6. A Lucky Ladybug

Mar 8, 2015
    They are growing really fast and yes I can add the heat lamp and point it at the hutch which I actually did this afternoon. As soon as the behavior started happening, I tried to act fast and get them in a new home. Problem I am seeing is that none of the others are having problems.

7. A Lucky Ladybug

Mar 8, 2015
    Every time I re-introduce her this afternoon she heads right for the other bantam and grabs her by the neck

8. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    They're 20 weeks old! They will be laying soon!! They need space...a lot of space!!! They will be fine without heating lamp...that could be provoking the pecking as well.

9. A Lucky Ladybug

Mar 8, 2015
    They are 20 days not 20 weeks. I'm aware of when they lay and get that big. ..they are no bigger than a tennis ball maybe

10. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    Ohhhh ok! Haha sorry! Must have read it wrong! I wonder what the problem is? Are you using a red light?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by