Bantam babies mixed with full size chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TexasChick09, Mar 15, 2012.

1. TexasChick09

TexasChick09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2009
    I think I may have done a bad thing. I had a Buff Orp hatch 7 eggs of mostly full-sized chicks, one is much smaller than the others. So yesterday I'm at TSC and start feeling sorry for the tiny bantam chicks and end up taking 7 home with me. I deposited them with the hen and her chicks, added a heat lamp in case they all couldn't fit under/around her, watched for several (20 or so) minutes, and checked on them a few times during the night/morning. Everyone seems to be doing ok, even the 2 most rundown chicks from TSC, and no one seems to be picking on anyone yet. I'm now wondering though, if it was smart to mix bantams with full sized chicks. Is this a bad thing?

I kind of hate to move them now because they mother hen has laid claim to them, but I don't want them beat up either.

2. MNShepherdess

MNShepherdess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Minnesota
    As long as you keep an eye on them, and no one is getting ran over too badly or starting to look listless, then you should be fine. I've mixed them before without a problem. How far apart in age are they? I always fall for those chicks in stock tanks too...lol.

3. TexasChick09

TexasChick09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2009
    The last chick from my broody hatched on Tuesday and the first hatched on Saturday. I bought the bantams on Wednesday, so just a few days apart from the first hatchlings.

I was pretty excited when I got hom and found that 2 of the chicks have feathers on their legs. I'm pretty sure one is a Mottle Cochin Bantam and some of the slick-legged ones (3) seem to maybe be Silver Sebrights. Not sure about the last 3. One is yellow with a grey dot on it's head and feathers on it's legs, the other 2 are black with some yellow and slick legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by