Bantam Barnvelders?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Goose and Fig, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Anyone have experiences to share with these little guys? I am thinking of ordering some, but if they are like welsummers, the bantams don't really lay dark eggs? Thanks!

2. peachychick

peachychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    Happy Mtn,
    No their eggs are pale (bantam barney). Temperment wise, they have aged just like standard barnevelders. A little skiddish at first, but coming around now that they are about 3 months old. Ours are relatively all the same size wise (small), but I have read on here and other barnevelder boards about people's disappointment when the bantams grow too big. I guess that's something you might want to ask your breeder and to see pics of the parent stock.
    They and their standard conterparts are my favorite breed.
    Kelli

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Ah thanks! I had figured as much. Wouldn't it be cool if they did lay dark eggs? I'd love to have banty olive eggers!

4. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    Bantam barnvelders lay dark brown eggs, similar in color to the standard sized bird. As they are not as of yet an accepted breed so there are many "definitions" as to what they are and what they are not. They should look exactly like a standard bird, double laced, but 2/3 the size. As I said there isn't yet a standard set for the bantams so a bird from 1 breeder my not look anything like a bird from another breeder....The greed thing takes over. Some breeders use welsummers or pendenscas for size or egg color but probably won't tell you. You may be rather surprised with the chicks you hatch. There are many threads on this board telling how someone has bought eggs from a reputable breeder but when their chicks hatch they and begin to grow don't look much like barnevelders...Buyer Beware...Possibly the previous poster is in the same situation...I have a small flock a purely pure bantam barnevelders....Take my word for this: Be very careful when you go shopping or you too may end up with pale white eggs.

5. peachychick

peachychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    My bantam barneys look like barneys, but the egg is light. Do you have pictures of your eggs, relics? I'd love to see them. This is one area I've asked about lately on the barnevelders thread. I wish the barneys had a chart like the marans do. I've read the egg should be burnt umber, coppery, coffee colored, terra cotta. Those colors sound unrelated to me.
    Kelli

6. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    They should be as dark as the eggs your standard barnevelders lay just smaller. A question: If your bantam barnevelders are only 3 months old how are they old enough to have even started laying eggs yet? generally mine don't start to lay until at least 25 weeks old...thats more like 6 months old...if you wouldn't mind, PM me where you got your chicks/eggs, I'm doing a little independant study.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by