Bantam barred ameraucanas or Easter Eggers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Duramaxgirl, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Does anyone know if I can get these? My daughter has her own coop we're trying to Finnish and if I get chicks her daddy (my DH) well probably get to working on it. [​IMG] anyhow she will be 9 on December 20th and she really wants her own birds. She loves barred chickens and really wants green/blue eggs. Soooo can I get this type of chicken? I'm looking for chicks from a hatchery or hatching eggs. Her coop is tiny so a trio or quad is all she can fit in there. If you own a barred chicken feel free to post pictures for her to see. She's almost as crazy of a chicken person as me!
    Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You cannot get a barred Ameraucana, no. There is no such color variety in that breed. The barring gene inhibits proper slate leg color in Ameraucanas, which have white skin and slate legs, per breed standard. You can get a barred Easter Egger, however-I have made those myself by crossing a Barred Rock rooster over Ameraucana and Easter Egger hens. They all lay green eggs. Mine are not bantams, though.

3. Duramaxgirl

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Oh ok thanks! Easter eggers are fine with her. Just the color and egg color is all that important. I'll see of I can change my post title.

4. speckledhen

Here is a picture of one of my barred EEs (BR x blue Ameraucana), Riley. She lays a huge bluish-green egg.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Duramaxgirl

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Awww thanks for the picture. She's pretty! I showed her to Isabella and she says she's perfect [​IMG] I tried to talk her into silkies because I heard they where friendly and good with kids. But all she wants is the green eggs and puffy cheeks and barred. I've got my work cut out for me finding them! She might have to settle for the lavender bantam ameraucanas I've seen for sale on here before.

6. LoveNewChicks

LoveNewChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    I don't know,
    My Coop
    here is someone who bred barred ameraucana
    ww.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=250873
    good luck on trying to find one!

7. Duramaxgirl

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    So from what I've read if I purchased bantam barred rocks from meyers hatchery (that's where I've found them) and hatched out some bantam lavender ameraucanas. And after they're all grown put the BR roo over the lavender hens then I'd get barred green egg laying chicks right? Thanks for posting that thread [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

Quote:That isn't an Ameraucana. It's exactly the same cross as the one I posted above, a BR/Ameraucana cross. You can't get a true barred Ameraucana, though you can call it a barred EE.

9. Duramaxgirl

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    It'll be fun having tiny chickens around here I'm so used to my HUGE BLRWs. I've got some BIG hens! And they're so gentle.

10. LoveNewChicks

LoveNewChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    I don't know,
    My Coop
    Quote:That isn't an Ameraucana. It's exactly the same cross as the one I posted above, a BR/Ameraucana cross. You can't get a true barred Ameraucana, though you can call it a barred EE.

looks like a ameraucana
    i had 2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by