Bantam Barred Rock gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by patricium, Aug 31, 2009.

1. patricium

patricium Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Western New York
    Our bantam barred rock is now 6 weeks old. We hope she's a she. Her flockmates, who are buff brahma bantams and red stars, are fully feathered out (you can see one of their butts in the photo). She's still very patchy. She seems very healthy, energetic, and active, so I don't think it's a health issue. After reading that one of the signs of roo-ness can be delayed feathering, I'm starting to wonder about her. Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Cockerel, sorry. That's one reason for the slow feathering. The color is male and the comb is too red and pronounced for a girl.

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Roo

4. Chickenhatcher89

Chickenhatcher89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    cockerel for sure.

5. patricium

Jun 28, 2009
    Western New York
    What do you mean by "the color is male"? I've seen people say that before about BR's.

Thanks everyone, for your quick responses. (even though you've caused considerable consternation in our household) [​IMG]

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Females are darker then the males. That one is definately a Male.

Matt

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Wow Roo.

Barred rock roos are much lighter birds than the hens. They have more/wider white barring so they look much lighter than the girls.

The big red comb, the slow/late feathering, HUGELY upright posturing. All that SCREAMS rooster.

Handle him a lot, he looks to be growing into a nice bird.

8. patricium

Jun 28, 2009
    Western New York
    Sigh. I'm working on reprogramming my brain from thinking about "her". Guess I'd better stop calling him ZoĆ«. [​IMG] We'll love him anyway.

9. tberryer

tberryer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2009
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    It's a roo. It has a lot of white compared to black, large comb and wattle for the age and the legs are on the lighter side. I've also heard about the late feathering.

10. FluffyColor

FluffyColor Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Queens, NY
    Why does everyone say rooster to 75% of the people who need help on thier chicken's gender???I'm reaally not sure on her/him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by